Food Truck Inspections
As with any food service establishment, mobile cooking operations (food trucks) have open flames, hot equipment, electrical connections, cooking oils, propane, flammable liquids, cleaning chemicals, engine oil and combustible products which provide all the ingredients for a fire ready to spread out of control.
A fire can devastate your mobile food business, leading to lost revenues, potential permanent closure or worse, personal injury or death. A fire inspection conducted annually on your food truck can reduce these potential effects from fire and health-related risks.
Food truck general requirements for Beaumont
- Food trucks must comply with all requirements under the National Fire Code (Alberta Edition, 2019) and Safety Codes Act for Mobile Cooking Operations.
- More information about the minimum requirements for food trucks under the Safety Codes Act can be found on the Government of Alberta's website.
- You must submit copies of inspection and maintenance reports from a qualified servicing agency within the last 12 months with your inspection application to confirm compliance.
- If your food truck has received approval to operate in another municipality within the last 12 months, please submit copies of that compliance certification with your inspection application.
Steps to apply for food truck permits
1. Review the Information Guide. An information guide has been provided to assist you in completing your application and understanding your responsibility as a food truck owner/operator.
2. Complete your permit application.
3. Submit your application to BFDinfo@beaumont.ab.ca. A fire prevention officer will review your application and contact you within two business days with their decision.
- If your application is not approved, you will be contacted with information on next steps.
- If your application is approved, you will be contacted to schedule an in-person fire inspection.
4. Pay your fees. The fee for fire inspections of food trucks is $85. Your inspection is valid for the calendar year.
5. Complete your fire inspection. Email BFDinfo@beaumont.ab.ca and schedule a fire inspection to complete the process.
6. Once you have passed your inspection and met all applicable criteria, you will be issued a certificate of inspection and sticker that must be attached to a visible location in your food truck.
If you require any assistance in completing your application, please contact Beaumont Fire Services from Monday – Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at BFDinfo@beaumont.ab.ca or 780-929-6185.