Water, Sewer and Storm Utilities Locate Request
Franchise (shallow) utilities are not the responsibility of Beaumont, below we have provided links to some franchise utilities in our area:
- Alberta One Call
- Power (including street lights) - Fortis Alberta
- Natural Gas - AltaGas
Beaumont Locate Request Process
“Before excavating activities actually begin, the location of buried facilities that may be encountered during digging must be located.” – Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Code 2009, Explanation Guide.
|For emergency requests during regular business hours (8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday-Friday) call 780-929-4300. |
|For an after-hours emergency, requests call 780-955-7778.|
The request to have buried utilities identified and marked prior to excavation is called a Locate Request.
Please refer to the Alberta Occupation Health & Safety Code and Explanation Guide for legislation regarding ground disturbance.
The City of Beaumont is not a member of Alberta One Call. Utility locates requests for water, sewer and storm services in the City of Beaumont must be submitted directly to the City by completing the online Locate Request Form. You must contact Alberta One Call to request locates for utilities such as gas, power and fibre optic lines.
Before submitting the locate request
- Pre-mark the dig site with white paint and/or flags.
- Collect the details about the scope and extent of the ground disturbance and exact location.
- Wait until all utilities have been marked before digging.
The City of Beaumont does not locate water, sewer or storm lines on private property. Service lines on private property are owned by and the responsibility of the landowner. If a landowner wishes to locate service lines on private property, we recommend that you hire a qualified contractor to perform the locate.
Submit your request by clicking on the below and follow the prompts:
Note: A confirmation email with your submission will be sent to the email on the request.
- After the locate request has been submitted online, the Beaumont Public Works Department may contact the individual(s) specified on the locate request and will visit the site to inspect the location of the excavation.
- Locate requests will be completed within five (5) business days. The City of Beaumont Public Works Department will respond to the utility location request by email when the locate is complete. The response will include the details of the utility(s) location, any potential conflicts, instructions, and permission for the excavation to begin.
- Water, sewer and storm services will be marked using the following colours with a flag, water-soluble paint, or both:
- If there are no utilities present, we will provide clearance to proceed with the excavation without a locate.
- The utility locate is valid for 14 days from the date on the locate response. If the excavation has not started within 14 days, a new utilities locate request will need to be submitted.
After all utilities have been located and permission has been granted to proceed:
- Ensure operators of excavation equipment have copies of, and understand, the locate documentation. Locate documentation must be kept on site during excavation.
- Support and protect exposed utilities to the satisfaction of the City.
- Report any damage (caused or found).
- Respect the locate marks. Hand expose buried City utilities in conflict with a ground disturbance before using mechanical excavation equipment within the hand expose zone (1 meter).
- Backfill exposed utilities with care.
- Follow all directions as directed by Beaumont Public Works.