Organics Cart Information
Approved Bags for Organics Carts
The only approved bags are see-through 100% compostable bags, marked by the manufacturer with both the U.S. and Canadian compostable logos. You can purchase 100% compostable bags in Beaumont at:
- No Frills (Glad Compostable Bags)
- Home Hardware (Nature Compostable Organics Bin Liners)
- Sobeys (Glad Compostable Bags)
- Rexall (Glad Compostable Bags)
- Shoppers Drug Mart (Glad Compostable Bags, Bio-life Compostable Mini Kitchen Bags)
Organics are all food and yard waste, and many items made from natural materials.
TIP: If the material came from something that was once living, it probably goes in your Green Organics Bin!
Note: No plastic bags, including thin grocery produce bags, can be put into the organics cart.
Facts About Your Carts
- The carts are the property of Town of Beaumont. They stay with the home where they are delivered and should never leave that address.
- Carts should not be modified in any way, including adding a lock.
- Replace damaged or stolen carts by calling 780-929-4306.
- The carts can hold the equivalent of 3-4 big bags of material.
Preparing Material for Your Green Organics Cart
- Line the bottom of the green organics cart with newspaper, paper towel or an approved 100% compostable bag to ensure items don't stick to the bottom.
- Layer wet items with dry ones.
- If possible, wait until the day before collection day to clear your fridge of food you're disposing of.
- Wrap meat and seafood in newspaper to help reduce odours.
- Cart contents must not exceed 220 lbs.
Keeping Your Organics Cart Clean to Help Reduce Odours
- Keep the cart lid closed.
- Wrap material in newspaper or use approved compostable bags.
- Alternate layers of ‘brown' material (leaves, shredded paper, cardboard, sawdust, etc.) and ‘green' material (meat, dairy, garden waste, etc.).
- Store your organics cart out of the direct sun, in a cool, well-ventilated area year round.
- Add a small amount of baking soda.
- Rinse the cart weekly or every second week with a water and vinegar mix or a diluted bleach solution.